Lasagna Roll Ups
Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence
Serves: 8 to 12
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon. Drain off and discard the grease. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Pour in the red wine, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and oregano and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes.
- While the meat sauce is cooking prepare the lasagna noodles. Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil and boil the noodles for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the cooked noodles carefully with cold water. Place the noodles on clean damp kitchen towels to cool.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, 3 cups of the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and chopped parsley in a bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Build the lasagna roll-ups. Cover the bottom of a 16-inch x 9-inch casserole dish with some of the meat sauce.
- Place four of the lasagna noodles on a cutting board. Spread ⅓ cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle. Spoon a little meat sauce over the cheese and top with some of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Roll up each lasagna noodle, lifting the noodles slightly to keep the filling inside, and place it seam side down in the baking pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles, making four rows of three lasagna roll ups.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the rolled up noodles and dollop any remaining cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle with a little extra Parmesan cheese and transfer the casserole to the oven.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 minutes, or until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese on top has nicely browned. Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before serving the rolls.