Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Glaze
Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence
- 1 recipe Cinnamon Roll Dough (see here), or 1 to 2 pounds frozen bread dough
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Let the dough come to room temperature on the counter. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a 16-inch by 13-inch rectangle. Position the rectangle so the shorter 13-inch side is facing you. Brush the melted butter over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border uncovered along the edge farthest away from you.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the buttered dough, keeping the 1-inch border uncovered. Roll the dough into a log starting with the edge closest to you. Roll the dough tightly, making sure to roll evenly and push out any air pockets. When you get to the uncovered edge of the dough, press the dough onto the roll to seal it together.
- Cut the log of dough into 12 pieces, slicing slowly with a sawing motion so you don’t flatten the dough. Turn the slices on their sides on a greased and lined (with silicone or parchment) 9” x 13” sheet pan and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the rolls sit in the warmest part of your kitchen for an hour to rise.
- To make the glaze, place the cream cheese and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Soften the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until it is easy to stir. Gradually add the powdered sugar and stir to combine. Add the vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Air-Fryer Directions: When the rolls have risen, pre-heat the air fryer to 350ºF. Transfer 6 of the rolls to the air fryer basket. Air-fry for 5 minutes. Turn the rolls over and air-fry for another 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Oven Baking Directions: Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF. Transfer the sheet pan to the oven and bake the rolls for 25 – 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cover with foil if the rolls start to get too brown.
- Let the rolls cool for a couple of minutes before glazing. Spread large dollops of cream cheese glaze on top of the warm cinnamon rolls, allowing some of the glaze to drip down the side of the rolls. Serve warm and enjoy!