Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence
- 1 cup rolled oats OR fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds meatloaf mixed ground meat (1 pound beef, ½ pound pork, ½ pound veal)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Place the oatmeal and milk in a large mixing bowl and let the oatmeal soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pre-heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and then cook the onion, carrot and garlic until tender, but not browned – 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the oats and milk.
- Add the ground meats, spices, parsley, eggs and Worcestershire sauce to the bowl and mix everything together with your hands just until everything is combined. Transfer the mix to a sheet pan and shape the mixture into a loaf shape of sorts.
- Bake in the oven for 60 to 75 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer registers 160˚ F in the center of the meat. After 60 minutes of cooking, combine the ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl and spread this on top of the meatloaf for the last ten to fifteen minutes of baking. Let the meatloaf cool and then slice and serve.