Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence
Recipe from, [i]Comfortable In The Kitchen[/i] Cookbook
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries butter or oil for greasing the pan
- Mix all the dry ingredients, including lemon zest, together in a large bowl. Combine the egg yolks, milk, lemon juice and oil or butter, and whisk together in a separate bowl or glass measure. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites until fluffy and soft peaks form.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the two are just combined. Fold in the blueberries and the egg whites until you can’t see streaks of white anymore, but be careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Pre-heat a non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a little oil or butter and lightly coat the surface of the pan. When the butter no longer sizzles, and a droplet of water splashed into the pan does sizzle, it is ready to make the pancakes.
- Pour batter in the pan, making pancakes of whatever size you wish. Do not disturb the pancakes until you see many little bubbles on the uncooked surface of the batter – about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until equally browned. Remove and repeat for next batch.
Serving size: 6-8